ISO 45001 is an effective tool that can be applied to all kinds of sectors and activities, and is used to systematically address occupational health and safety activities in accordance with the general strategies of the organizations and to analyze them within the framework of a continuous improvement approach. With the help of this standard, it is possible to establish a management system in which occupational health and safety risks are determined, analyzed and minimized with measures, in compliance with the legislation, occupational health and safety objectives are found and practices are implemented to achieve them.
The main purpose of ISO 45001; is to create and manage a healthy and safe working environment by eliminating or minimizing the risks in question in the light of the legal regulations regarding occupational health and safety. To explain in more detail, the objectives of ISO 45001, which we can gather under three main headings, are as follows:
1) Protecting the employees: Protecting the employees from the negative effects of the workplace and ensuring that they work in a comfortable and safe environment is the first aim of occupational health and safety.
2) Ensuring production safety: One of the objectives of occupational health and safety is to minimize labor and workday losses that may occur due to work accidents and occupational diseases, thus protecting production (product and/or service) by increasing work efficiency.
3) Ensuring operational safety: With the measures taken in the working environment, the elimination of fire, explosion, machine malfunctions and failures that may endanger the operation will ensure operational safety.
What are the Benefits of ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System?
It ensures that undesirable events that cause death, illness, injury, damage and other losses in the workplace are largely prevented.
It ensures the protection of resources by integrating occupational health and safety studies into other activities.
It shows the commitment of the management due to the importance given to health and safety issues.
By increasing the reputation of the institution, it gives a reliable company image in the public eye.
It increases the motivation and participation of the employees, makes them trust the institution, and contributes to the commitment to the values of the organization.
It shows compliance with national and international conditions and laws regarding occupational health and safety.
It ensures the systematic dissemination of occupational health and safety activities within the organization.
It provides a potential decrease in the number of occupational diseases and accidents, and prevents loss of workforce.
Potential reduction in downtime and associated costs.
It enables better management of health and safety risks both today and in the future.
- While ensuring occupational health, it contributes to customer satisfaction and loyalty by ensuring the continuity of products that meet customer demands.
- It takes possible occupational accidents under control with risk management. It ensures that precautionary practices are clearly defined and that these activities are carried out. As a result, accidents are prevented.
- It prevents production from stopping and slowing down due to accidents and diseases, reduces compensation costs, penalties and compensations, and reduces operating costs.
- It provides competitive advantage by increasing the prestige of the organization.
- With the measures taken in the working environment, fire, explosion, machine failures, etc. that may endanger the business. As a result of the elimination of these situations, it ensures operational safety and strengthens the safety culture.
- By minimizing work and workforce losses that may occur due to work accidents and occupational diseases, it provides an increase in work efficiency and a reduction in costs.
- It proves the sensitivity of the organization to occupational safety in front of official authorities.
- With the advantage of establishing a system integrated with other management system standards, it saves documents, effort and system.
Who Can Use/Apply the ISO 45001 Standard?
The ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System Standard can be adopted by any organization that wishes to implement a formal procedure to reduce, eliminate or minimize health and safety risks to employees, customers and the public in the workplace. Since it is a general standard, it can meet the needs of organizations of all sizes and industries.